- About Us
- NVHR Hepatitis C Resources
- NVHR Hepatitis C State Specific Resources Pages
- More than Tested, Cured Project
- Hepatitis C Treatment Access
Implementing Electronic Medical Record Prompts for Baby Boomer Screening
This is a list of resources for implementing electronic medical record prompts to screen baby boomers.
Implementation of clinical decision support tools or prompts for HCV testing in electronic health records can facilitate reminding clinicians of HCV testing when indicated.
- HCV Screening Prompts: Various EMR Programs
- Further Resources: NVHR Webinar: Conveying the Urgency of Baby Boomer Testing
Implement Generic Hepatitis C PromptThese guidelines assist providers with implementing EMR prompts to remind them to test Baby Boomers for hepatitis C.
Overcoming Barriers to Broad HCV TestingThis presentation informs primary care providers and other how to identify misconceptions and convince others of the importance of hepatitis C testing for Baby Boomers.
Overview of Steps to Implement Birth Cohort HCV TestingThis document summarizes action steps that can be taken by various stakeholder groups to galvanize others to implement birth cohort hepatitis C testing.
HCV Screening Prompts: Various EMR Programs
HCV Birth Cohort Prompt in Epic: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterThis presentation explores a case study where Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center implemented birth cohort EMR prompts in their Epic system. If you use Epic Systems, please click here for more resources.
HCV Birth Cohort Prompt in Centricity: Boston HealthCare for the HomelessThis document provides an example of an EMR prompt reminder providers to test Baby Boomers for hepatitis C in Centricity.
HCV Birth Cohort Prompt in AllScripts: Drexel University’s "C a Difference" ProgramThis document provides an example of a birth cohort EMR prompt in AllScripts.
HCV Birth Cohor Prompt in webOMR: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center This document provides an example of a birth cohort EMR prompt in webOMR.
NVHR Webinar: Conveying the Urgency of Baby Boomer Testing
Click here to view the slides and recording.
This is a list of possible approaches to implement Baby Boomer screening prompts. These are based on Epic's system, but could be adapted to use in other types of Electronic Medical Record systems.
- Alert patients through their PHR, e.g. MyChart
- Allow front desk staff to schedule the tests
- Nursing Clinical Alerts (POC) or Nursing Worklist of patients meeting the criteria
- Physician active alerts, POC alerts such as BPAs
- Health Maintenance Reminders – viewable by nurse, physician, and patient
- Population Management – generate a report of patients meeting the criteria and adding
a standing future order go all patients in the list (bulk orders) or add a
Health Maintenance Reminder to all of the patients
- Test the alerts before they are viewable to the end users
- Overdue results folders