- About Us
- Hepatitis C Baby Boomer Resources
- NVHR Hepatitis C State Specific Resources Pages
Implementing Electronic Medical Record Prompts for Baby Boomer Screening
This is a list of resources for implementing electronic medical record prompts to screen baby boomers.
Implementation of clinical decision support tools or prompts for HCV testing in electronic health records can facilitate reminding clinicians of HCV testing when indicated.
If you use Epic Systems, please click here: http://nvhr.org/programs/epic-emr
Here are examples of HCV screening prompts and their configurations in other EMR programs:
Here are slides and a recording from a webinar on making the case for baby boomer HCV screening:
This is a list of possible approaches to implement Baby Boomer screening prompts. These are based on Epic's system, but could be adapted to use in other types of Electronic Medical Record systems.
- Alert patients through their PHR, e.g. MyChart
- Allow front desk staff to schedule the tests
- Nursing Clinical Alerts (POC) or Nursing Worklist of patients meeting the criteria
- Physician active alerts, POC alerts such as BPAs
- Health Maintenance Reminders – viewable by nurse, physician, and patient
- Population Management – generate a report of patients meeting the criteria and adding
a standing future order go all patients in the list (bulk orders) or add a
Health Maintenance Reminder to all of the patients
- Test the alerts before they are viewable to the end users
- Overdue results folders